The Thessaloniki Bioclinic features a level 2 neonatal ICU staffed with specialised personnel. If intensive monitoring of the newborn is needed, the clinic has four isolettes that are supplied with oxygen and under continuous monitoring. If level 3 intensive care is needed, once the newborn’s condition has been stabilised, it is immediately transferred in a special isolette and the clinic’s ambulance to a special unit accompanied by a neonatologist. The clinic can also provide phototherapy for neonates suffering from jaundice.
Visiting hours – Waiting area for relatives
Daily visiting hours in patients wards are as follows: 10:30 – 12:30 and 17:30 – 20:30, which relatives and friends are kindly requested to respect.
The area for relatives and friends waiting for their loved one to give birth is the ground floor living room. For reasons of hygiene and peace waiting on the 6th floor is not allowed.
Children below 10 cannot enter the patients wards in order to prevent spreading of infections to the newborns.
On admission, you will be given a brochure containing general information about the Clinic. For any further clarification the reception staff and the midwives are always at your disposal.
Preventive newborn screening
The clinic can offer preventive newborn screening by specialist doctors and labs concerning the following:
- HEARING TEST: Performed using the harmless and painless method of otoacoustic emissions. In this way and by special equipment the normal or not otoacoustic emissions are recorded from the newborn. If there are signs of a problem, the specialist doctor will prescribe more tests and recommend the best way to manage the condition
- SCREENING OF METABOLIC DISORDERS: This is based on a blood test using mass spectrometry. A few drops of blood are taken from the newborn’s heel, which are taken at the same time as the compulsory national screening (PKU, congenital hypothyroidism, galactosaemia and G6PD deficiency). At least 40 conditions can be detected by this test.
- HIP ULTRASOUND ASSESSMENT: This is performed by ultrasound examination using a special probe. Hip deformities can be diagnosed so as to offer immediate management.
- HEART ULTRASOUND ASSESSMENT: This is performed by ultrasound examination using a special probe by a special paediatric cardiologist. Congenital heart disease can be diagnosed.
The first pictures of my baby
The Thessaloniki Bioclinic has a photographer for newborns, who takes pictures under strict hygiene conditions. The photographer will show you the pictures in your room; their purchase is optional. In case you do not wish that your child is photographed, please state so on time to the floor’s midwife.
The declaration of your child’s birth is necessary for its registration at the Municipality of Thessaloniki Registry Office, which is the office responsible for our clinic.
The birth declaration is completed at the midwife station on the 5th floor by the child’s father or mother.
The following supporting documents are required:
- ID cards of both parents.
- Marriage certificate.
- Certificate of marital status issued by the Municipality or Community where you have registered a family share, which should have been issue six months before at the latest. If there is entry of one of the two spouses, a certificate from both Municipalities is required.
- Child’s name declaration (applicable to marriages that took place after 1985).
Originals are required.
Receipt of the birth declaration can be done every day at the obstetrics department. The birth declaration and the above-mentioned supporting documents should be handed, within 10 calendar days from the birth day of your child, to the Registry Office of the Municipality of Thessaloniki, so that a Birth Certificate can be issued.
Registry Office of the Municipality of Thessaloniki
30 Tantalou Street (near KAPSIS Hotel)
Tel.: 2310 501921, 501930, 501924
Working hours: 7:30 to 13:30
Length of stay
The typical length of stay for natural labour is four (4) days; for C sections usually five (5) days are required. In any case the doctor will determine the length of your stay at the clinic.
The Thessaloniki Bioclinic is the first clinic to implement innovative plans for natural deliveries of one or two days and for caesarian sections of 3 and 4 days, reducing significantly the cost of birth-giving. The support provided by experienced midwives to future mothers, even after they return home, is key to this process. For more information, please contact the Obstetrics department of the clinic.